My musings on different political topics relevant to America today.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Moments to Remember

I driving to workout this afternoon...then all of a sudden I noticed something...the sky was absolutely beautiful!  It was radiating this orange hue that fell spectacularly against the dark tree line.  I approached the stop sign after being momentarily distracted, then I thought to myself, "Maybe I won't go to the gym today, maybe instead I will enjoy this beautiful day."  I hesitated a moment, drove a little closer to the stop sign, then swung around a full 180 and headed straight to the park by my house.

I thought, "Hey, I can still workout, I will run outside and enjoy the breathtaking landscape."  So I got out of my car and started running.  I put on some music from my Ipod and started grooving.  I just ran, trying desperately to run closer to the heavenly glow over the horizon.  I was determined to get there, somehow, someway.

I soon broke from the rigid path that society had laid out for me to follow. I departed into the unknown, plunging deeper into the ether.  I felt my feet melting away into the grass.  My eyes clinged to the aura. My heart pulsated from exhaustion yet I kept running.  I don't know what was driving me on but I couldn't stop.

It was a very strange, seemingly spiritual experience.  I was suppose to be at small group, but I just couldn't go.  The last thing I wanted was to be chained down, locked inside a room yet again.  I wanted  to escape to somewhere timeless and infinite that my heart could roam.  I found just the place.  A place that has always been there, but seemingly never there at the same time.  It was just the park by my  house.  The same park I had been too a thousand times.  Yet something about that run was different.  Something about that park was different.  It was one of those things that you just had to be there.

What is it about such moments that make them so fleeting?  You cannot get them back.  They only come once.  There is no replicating them.  You know what I mean.  Those moments you never forget, for seemingly no reason.  Those moments that you look back fondly on but you can't quite put your finger on why.  Sure you give reasons, but the reasons are never good enough.  They never answer why that moment mattered.

Its funny, when I first started writing this, I was originally going to write about how we should all pause every now and then to admire the world around us.  I was going to rant how we, or at least I, don't spend enough time marveling at the world's beauty.  I was going to talk about how naturally it comes for children, but how so many adults let the worries of the world drag them down, and prevent them from simply pausing to take it all in.

Yet really my experience was not about that I realize.  It was about that connection we sometimes feel, to a world greater than ours.  Sometimes things in this world spark a longing for the beyond yet at the same time fill us with a peace about our own lives.  Nature is usually what sparks such moments of tranquil reflection for me, yet it doesn't have to be that.  It can be the beauty of your friends, or even the power of the human word.  Whatever it is, don't push such moments aside.  Let yourself run away in them while they last.  After all, there is no formula for it.  I don't really know why I wrote this.  Nevertheless I hope it touches someone out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment